Choosing your real estate professional is one of the most important decisions you will make when selling your property. I believe the more you look around, the more you will see the value of working with me.
However, no matter whom you choose, these simple tips will help you sell your property more quickly and efficiently.
Seller Tips – House or Farm
Make first impressions count. Without a doubt, a visually appealing property will attract buyers, who can’t help but respond to the look and “feel” of a property. Take time to carefully prepare for showings. Scrub, dust, and fix up!
- Cut the grass
- Remove clutter from the yard
- Trim hedges
- Weed gardens
- Wash steps, windows, railings, doors, etc
- Paint if needed
- Remove unnecessary clutter from garages
- Shampoo carpets
- Clean tubs, toilets and showers and hang fresh towels
- Oil squeaky doors
- Fix things like broken hinges and light switches
In short, buyers will notice details. Get rid of the clutter, repair leaky faucets, wage war on dust and clean until your property shines. Small things can make a potential buyer walk away.
Listen to suggestions. As you prepare your property, don’t rely solely on your own judgement. It’s hard to be objective when you’re the owner. I will have helpful, professional tips on how to make your property more marketable.
Take a whiff. Nothing will turn a buyer away faster than an odd smell. Try to eliminate smoking, food and pet odors. And don’t leave any clues. If potential buyers see a dog or an ashtray, they’ll be on the lookout for smells and stains.
Turn on the lights. Open shades and draperies before a viewing. Open all doors inside home. Turn on inside and outside lights.
Let potential buyers “see” themselves in your property. Too many personal items can make viewers feel like they’re intruding in someone else’s home. Keep things clean and simple. Decorate in neutral colors.
Stay unemotional during negotiations. Selling your property can be emotionally charged, but don’t let that stand in the way of making a deal. Have a business-like attitude during the process.
Choose a real estate professional you like and trust.
Seller Tips – Land
- Clear trail or path into property so buyers and brokers can easily walk it.
- Hire wetland consultant to do basic report if wetlands or stream present.
- Hire licensed septic designer to do basic perk feasibility.
- If public water or community well, obtain water availability certificate
- If property to be served by sewer, obtain sewer availability letter.
- Boundary survey is also recommended.